- prime number
- nounan integer that has no integral factors but itself and 1
* * *noun: an integer other than 0 or ±1 that is not divisible without remainder by any other integers except ±1 and ± the integer itself
* * *Math.a positive integer that is not divisible without remainder by any integer except itself and 1, with 1 often excluded: The integers 2, 3, 5, and 7 are prime numbers. Also called prime.[1585-95]
* * *prime number nounA number, other than one, divisible only by itself or unity• • •Main Entry: ↑prime
* * *a number that can only be divided exactly by itself and the number 1, for example 7Thesaurus: numbers and types of numberhyponym
* * *prime number,a whole number that cannot be divided without a remainder by any whole number except itself and 1; prime. 2, 3, 5, 7 are prime numbers; 4, 6, 9 are composite numbers.
* * *noun, pl ⋯ -bers [count]mathematics : a number (such as 2, 3, or 5) that can only be exactly divided by itself and by 1
* * *a number that can be divided exactly only by itself and 1, for example 7, 17 and 41
Useful english dictionary. 2012.